The Hanging Wood - Readers' Group Information
Library Journal in the United States said of this book: 'When 14-year-old Callum Hinds goes missing in England’s Lake District, everyone suspects his uncle, who, unable to stand the pressure, commits suicide. Twenty years later Callum’s sister raises doubts about her uncle’s guilt, but no one listens. Then she falls into a grain silo and suffocates. DCI Hannha Scarlett, head of Cumbria’s Cold Case Review Team, begins an investigation that leads to more deaths and an unexpected ending. Edwards’s fifth series title (after The Serpent Pool) builds suspense while capturing its characters’ rage, anguish, and resentment that complicate the investigation and intensify the danger for all involved. VERDICT: With an unforgettable ending, this outstanding cold case will attract Lynda La Plante and Mo Hayder fans.'
Suggested discussion points for readers’ groups
A starting point for debate may be some or all of the following questions:
- If you have not read earlier books in the series, did that matter to you?
- What was your reaction to the events of the opening chapter?
- How did the author deal with the relationship between Hannah and Daniel?
- Were you more interested in the characters, the setting, the plot, or all three?
- Did you agree with Library Journal’s assessment of the book?
- What was your opinion of the ending of the book?
The Hanging Wood is published in the UK by Allison & Busby, and in the US by Poisoned Pen Press.